Alternative sources (misc)
Sources of free/used stuff of all kinds:
- Film Biz Recycling may have useful things for building out the space - got 4x10 luan sheets for $5 apiece at BIG last winter.
- http://www.thinkgeek.com/blog/2011/03/take-these-broken-things.html Thinkgeek will send "a box of borked goodies" to hackspaces but have to pay shipping
- http://swappa.com/ "Gently used" Android devices
Furniture & Appliances
If in doubt: Most people use Digi-Key or Mouser. Mouser is often cheaper and has a better selection of wireless parts. Digi-Key has a better selection in many other areas.
- Adafruit They offers reselling pricing for hackerspaces (See Adafruit_Orders to get in on group buys via HM's discount)
- Jameco Electronics Supplier -- Tools and Parts
- Parallax Propeller and Basic Stamps, Sensors, Etc.
- All Electronics Random Electronic Parts
- Digi-Key electronics parts
- Online Components Electronics parts
- ROHM Electronics parts
- Mouser electronics parts
- Avnet cheap 2-day shipping, often cheaper parts in low quantities
- Newark (element14, Premier Farnell) cheap overnight shipping
- Thai Shop Etc on eBay often, but not always, cheaper
Science & Lab
- http://www.astc.org/members/pslist/pslist.htm (from Kenny, unverified -- cheap lab stuff) (Possibly other resources too. Someone should explore. -Kenny)
- http://www.labx.com Dave has used them before to outfit labs when cost was an issue
- Canal Lighting & Parts - 313 Canal St
- The Lighting Studio - 141 Bowery. Cheaper than Canal Lighting and probably has a better selection.
- Grand Lighting And Parts - 344 Broome St. Just across the Lighting Studio. Good prices and nice personnel.
- Eighth Avenue Lighting, Inc. - 545 8th Avenue. From Peter Shenkin.
Retail Stores in the City that Sell Cool Stuff
This section is for retail stores where you can buy stuff of interest. The emphasis is on places in the city with unusual offerings. For stores within walking distance of HackManattan! that sell commodity hardware and parts that you can basically get anywhere, see Local Places to Buy Stuff.
They supply metals, chemicals and small tools for jewelers. Student-oriented.
Open M-F till 5:30 PM
34 West 46th Street, between 5th and 6th Ave.
New York, NY 10036
Zak Jewelry Tools
Another tool supplier to the jewelry industry. They've got some large and heavy items here: wire mills, benches, etc. Oriented toward professionals. HIgh quality and generally expensive.
55 W. 47th St., between 5th and 6th Avenue
New York, NY 10036
212 768 8122
Every kind of light bulb you could imagine, and some you couldn't.
415 W. 50th St. (between 9th and 10th Avenue)
New York, NY 10019
212 765 6190