Alternative sources (misc)
Sources of free/used stuff of all kinds:
- http://swappa.com/ "Gently used" Android devices
Furniture & Appliances
If in doubt: Most people use Digi-Key or Mouser. Mouser is often cheaper and has a better selection of wireless parts. Digi-Key has a better selection in many other areas.
Large Suppliers of current production parts
- Mouser electronics parts
- Digi-Key electronics parts
- Newark (element14, Farnell)
- Avnet cheap 2-day shipping, often cheaper parts in low quantities
- Allied Electronics
- Future Electronics
- Adafruit They offers reselling pricing for hackerspaces (See Adafruit_Orders to get in on group buys via HM's discount)
- Jameco Electronics Supplier -- Tools and Parts
- Eaton Electronics Electronic Components. Supercapacitors, Magnetics, Circuit protection and more.
- Online Components Electronics parts
- Alltronics/Anatek Instruments
- All Electronics Random Electronic Parts
- NAC Semi
Overseas suppliers that ship to the US:
Surplus, obsolete, and vintage suppliers:
- Leeds Radio Vacuum tubes, vintage connectors, vintage knobs, vintage switches
- Surplus Sales of Nebraska
- Apex Jr
- AliExpress Beware: High chance the chips you are purchasing will be rejects, fakes, or used and desoldered
- eBay Beware: High chance the chips you are purchasing will be rejects, fakes, or used and desoldered
- PEI Genesis Custom connector & cable solutions for harsh environments. Shop electronic components to find your custom connector solutions.
- Parallax Propeller and Basic Stamps, Sensors, Etc.
- All About Circuits Textbook The most comprehensive free electronics textbook to date.
- EE Power Textbook This textbook covers the Basic Principles of Power Electronics.
Bhens Products Co, Inc (BeadKraft, MakerKraft)
Acrylic sheets, stock sizes & cut to order; beads, findings and jump rings; tools
146 W. 29th St, #2W
New York, NY 10001
Canal Plastic Center
Acrylid sheets, stock sizes & cut to order
0930-1800 M-S, closed Sun
345 Canal St (Greene/Wooster St, N side) map
New York, NY 10013
Canal Rubber Supply Co, Inc
0900-1645 M-S, closed Sun
329 Canal St (Mercer/Greene St, N side) map
New York, NY 10013
Science & Lab
- http://www.astc.org/members/pslist/pslist.htm (from Kenny, unverified -- cheap lab stuff) (Possibly other resources too. Someone should explore. -Kenny)
- http://www.labx.com Dave has used them before to outfit labs when cost was an issue
- http://sciplus.com surplus goods - Charlie orders from them regularly
- Canal Lighting & Parts - 313 Canal St
- Eighth Avenue Lighting, Inc. - 545 8th Avenue. From Peter Shenkin.
Retail Stores in the City that Sell Cool Stuff
This section is for retail stores where you can buy stuff of interest. The emphasis is on places in the city with unusual offerings. For stores within walking distance of HackManattan! that sell commodity hardware and parts that you can basically get anywhere, see Local Places to Buy Stuff.
Zak Jewelry Tools
Another tool supplier to the jewelry industry. They've got some large and heavy items here: wire mills, benches, etc. Oriented toward professionals. HIgh quality and generally expensive.
55 W. 47th St., between 5th and 6th Avenue
New York, NY 10036
212 768 8122
see the Local Resources page for places within easy walking distance of Hack Manhattan.