Put places on this page that are in our 'hood and are worth knowing about for one reason or another. Add categories as needed, but be parsimonious.
Do you really need to buy locally?
People often want things on the SAME DAY, then proceed to waste a lot of time trying to find it locally. By the same they actually get around to it, an order from an online vendor will arrived.
Cheap, Fast and Good
They say "pick any two", but to get into this section, which is devoted to places to grab a bite near Hack Manhattan, you have to qualify on all three.
Add a new place in a new sub-heading and your own review or comments in a bullet.
Eat in, take out or get it delivered.
204 West 14th St (just West of 7th Ave)
New York, NY 10011
- Peter: Best fried chicken I've had in NY. Good side dishes (brussel sprouts, etc.). The coffee, from Mud NYC, is great when it's fresh, but it isn't always, unfortunately. Nice cookies to bring to the space. Eat in or take out.
- I second that. --Guan 12:24, 30 December 2011 (EST)
106 University Place (between 12th and 13th)
New York, NY 10003-4508
- Peter: "Artisan sausages" on a pretzel bun -- meaning a bun made of soft-pretzel dough. With grilled onions. They have a turkey and even a vegetarian variety, in addition to several beef and pork varieties. Condiments are available at a modest price: sauerkraut, cole slaw, pickles, etc. They have french fries, and also a tracle peanut butter panna cotta that to me sounds utterly disgusting, but YMMV.
7th Ave bet 12th and 13th Whole Green
- Dave: Tiny Hole-in-the-wall juice bar that makes great $3-5 sandwiches and wraps to be found in the similarly tiny fridge. Closes early evening though so get it early.
=== Halal Food Truck@12th and 7th Open 'til 4 p.m. only, but cheap, good and fast.
http://westvillenyc.com 246 West 18th Street, New York, NY 10011 (bet 7th & 8th) (212) 924-2223
- Dave: Excellent 'real' food, great veggies and grilled meats. May not be fast at peak times, but worth the wait.
- Peter: Gotta try it. Sounds like a good excuse to use the neglected 18th-St. station on the #1.
Places Close to HackManhattan! to Buy Stuff
This category is for places to just run out and pick something up in a jiffy, or stop by on the way in. The emphasis is on proximity, not selection or quality. For an emphasis on quality and variety, see Retail Stores in the City that Sell Cool Stuff.
You know the deal....
Closes 9 PM Mon - Sat, 8 PM Sun.
40 West 23rd Street (between 5th and 6th ave.)
New York, NY
(212) 929-9571 · homedepot.com
You know the deal here, too.
The only Radio Shack left in Manhattan is the one on 23 St @ 6 Ave, and it too is reportedly slated for closure.
205 W 23 St
New York, NY
Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 9:00 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Sunday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Artie's Hardware & Locksmith
Typical neighborhood hardware store, across the street from HackManhattan!
Closes 6 PM during the week (but 24-hr locksmith service)
140 West 14th Street
New York, NY
6th Ave bet 11th and 12th St
Often cheaper than Artie's, lots of stuff in the back if you ask