From Hack Manhattan Wiki
FlashlightTron™ 8000 is a combination light source, graffiti projector, and personal protection device. The system is built into a Maglite case.
- 20W cool white LED (Ebay)
- Small cheap linux board - I used the Linino, which is essentially an Arduino Yún (Sparkfun, Digikey, Ebay, etc)
- 4x18650 size LiIon cells (Ebay) + charger
- Cheap Nokia TFT LCD (Adafruit)
- Boost converter (Ebay, or build your own)
- Convex lens - good quality is important for a good projection
- My plan is to use the linux board as a HTTP server - POSTing an image or small video will cause it to be projected
- The Arduino side of the linino board will control the display - it will receive bitmaps from the linux side over SPI, and paint them on the display
- This could also be done with a Raspberry Pi, maybe a compute module.
- Ultimately also have physical controls to change the brightness (20w is pretty bright and the batteries won't last long) and have builtin images for e.g. colored light
- Screen savers, kaleidoscope?
- Build and test boost converter
- Peel the back off the Nokia display
- In progress