This page describes the process of becoming an official member. If you want to support Hack Manhattan or plan to utilize the space and community quite a bit, consider becoming a member.
Non-members can still participate in Hack Manhattan projects, visit and use the space when a member is present, and participate in the mailing list discussion. The space is usually open on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. It is often possible to visit and use the space at other times when a member is around and willing to host (all members have a key), just ask on the mailing list.
How to become a member
It is possible to use the space and equipment without a membership in connection with a meeting or other event (including Tech Tuesday every Tuesday at 7:30pm), or when supervised by a member. Ask on the mailing list if you want to visit the space outside regular events. Non-members are free to participate fully on the mailing list and in any discussions and projects at Hack Manhattan. They can also attend and participate in business meetings, but cannot vote.
To become a member,
- Introduce yourself on the mailing list and
- Come to at least two Tuesday meetings or other events. After that,
- New members are formally approved at the monthly business meetings, which are held on the last Tuesday of the month. It is usually a formality and no one who wanted to become a member has ever been rejected.
- Finally, sign up for a monthly dues payment using the PayPal links at the bottom of our homepage. If you sign up for a wiki account first, you may also pay with a credit card (we use Stripe to process these).
- There are two official membership levels that allow for voting rights at meetings and free access to the space. The two membership levels are equivalent in every way except cost.
- Standard -- pay $100/mo
- Starving Hacker -- pay $50/mo (for the students and underemployed)
If you have a desire to explore alternative dues models, membership tiers, and so on, please feel free to come up with a plan and propose it at a business meeting!