Many people at the 9/20 meeting expressed interest in 3D Printers, CNC's etc
-- 3D Printer --
- Thursday nights are 3D Thursdays! Visit us from 7pm onwards on Thursday nights.
- Dual Extrusion -- the new Makerbot TOM MK7 supports this. Anyone interested in experimenting with it?
- Question: could a budget extrusion machine platform be made by stacking the axis from a discarded inkjet on top of the slide from a discarded full page scanner? A z axis and extruder would of course still be needed. Some printer carriages are not that stable in tilt though, having only one round linear rail and rubbing against something for stabilization. Do extruder machines exert any substantial force on their carriages? Is the Z axis get used only when changing layers or also for tool up/down? Could a slow and perhaps backlash-prone (thus unidirectional) Z axis be complemented by some sort of short range (perhaps solenoid) tool lift mechanism?
- We have a list of 3D printing resources
-- CNC Machine --
- Anyone interested in building a CNC like the DIYLILCNC? diylilcnc.org They are coming out with the v 2.0 plans sometime soon, maybe October.
-- 3D Scanner -- Homemade version, perhaps something like this: Fabscan  (can be 3D printed or lasercut) ~ 120 euros
- Chris Stratton
- Past experience with inkjet/powder 3D Printing Group at MIT, also hacked on some CNC machine tool conversions
- Moderate interest in a access to a machine with a build volume the size of an adult human foot
- Eager to help with with any DIY machine project regardless of build volume/capabilities
- Owns a Prusa Mendel, wants to helps others to build more printers, and learn to refine prints. Also food printing.