Hack Manhattan will relocate to the third floor of 137 W 14th Street into the southeast room, which is currently called Studio B
The vote will close at 12pm on Sunday, January 13, 2013.
Due to lack of a quorum voting has been extended until a decision can be reached. SuperLuckyCat 03:43, 14 January 2013 (UTC)
- Crystal : yes
- Peter: yes
- Robby: yes
- Guan: yes
- Antonio: yes
- Jordan: yes
- Jonathan: yes
- Nickolai(verbal): yes
- Robert Diamond yes
- Steven yes
- Krass yes
- Vadim: yes
- Spencer: yes
- Barry: yes
- Justin yes
- Xo: yes
- Overhauser: yes
Vote has passed SuperLuckyCat 23:32, 14 January 2013 (UTC)
We have been negotiating a move to Studio B in lieu of expansion into the space next door to us.There are many arguments in favor of the move:
- Alchemical Theater will take over the second floor and maintain studio C on the third floor. This change allows them to remain in the building when they would otherwise have to relocate. Keeping them in the building gives us a known, friendly neighbor, a stable tenancy in a fully occupied building, and leaves the option of renting additional studio space on an ad hoc basis open.
- We go from 389 sf to 486 sf, a 25% increase. The move can occur as soon as February 18th.
- Alchemical will handle moving all of our equipment in exchange for this deal.
- The more open configuration of B allows us to purchase a laser cutter (if the group agrees) immediately if funded, with no construction necessary, as would be required for expanding to D.
- In 6 months we have the option of taking over the studio next door, E. This expansion would give us a much larger space (916 sf vs 731 sf) in the long term than D. Kenny, our landlord, has expressed his willingness to do the same deal as for D, with a lower initial rent that escalates to market value as our organization grows.
- We will be closer to the roof for events, horticulture, and use of the hammock :-) There is space in the hallway to the roof to park bikes and lock them to the railing.
- Fire escape access, with a cement foundation good for sitting or a few plants. There is also a ladder to the roof for those who feel adventurous and are well insured.
- Our neighbors would include a painters' group immediately adjacent in E for now (to move to C if we want to expand) and Sung in his workroom down the hall, currently dubbed "studio X."
- Rent is $1850, as compared to the $2100 we would be paying on expansion into D. The savings over 6 months while we wait to expand would allow us to acquire more equipment and build a reserve to grow more organically.
- A quieter floor with greater privacy
- Loss of an enclosed machine shop area
- Loss of the storage closet
- Less space for the months of March-June than we would have otherwise had
- Loss of the roof patio
- Extra flight of stairs to navigate
In Summary: I feel strongly that this is a good strategic choice for the long term growth of Hack Manhattan and the stability of the building at 137 W 14th. While there have been some issues with Alchemical in the past, we now have a mutually beneficial and friendly relationship. In addition, a building committee has been formed to come to group decisions to direct the ecology of 137. Kenny is supportive of this working dynamic. Our hope is to create a unified body that will make the entire building an enjoyable space supportive of the arts and creative technology. SuperLuckyCat 16:16, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
Possible layout of the new space (link to full floor plan):