Meeting 2020-11-24

From Hack Manhattan Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Consensus Agenda

New Business

For each prospective member, please confirm no later than Thursday before the meeting:

  • Has the member visited 3 times at the regular Tuesday and Thursday open nights?
  • Has the member received the briefing? When, and who was the briefer?
  • Has the member's bio and photo been circulated on the members list? (not just blabber)

Member Reports

Board Reports

President's Report

  • This has been a difficult month.
  • Continuing to talk to FCFL (Fat Cat Fab Lab, another Manhattan hackerspace).

Treasurer's Report

  • Main obstacle with FCFL includes lease condition with Jazz club. Currently in the process of becoming an independent entity.
  • If all HM members joined FCFL, it wouldn't be enough to prolong.
  • Currently running at a loss of $400 a month, if we are charged.
  • $12000 in cash reserve
  • Deposit $7000 with the building. Segregated account.
  • Building mortgage is modest, property tax is $10000
  • Foreclosure scenario:
  • CityBadger Report: Verbally accepted a potential offer.
  • D&O insurance: potential cost ~$1000 dollars per year.

Secretary's Report

  • Not present

Directors-at-Large's Report

  • No report.

Member and Project Reports

Building Possibilities

  • mz: Given current membership activity online, HM will not continue after end of 2021. Depends whose willing to bootstrap a new space when covid ends. Currently membership lacks the experience to start a new hackerspace.
  • Peter: Why would it be better to abandon ship now and put our hope in another space?
  • Tarek: Cairo makerspace experience:
  • Robby: Covid is the final nail in the coffin. Multiple community problems. Dissolve HM in its current form, liquidate.
  • Shway: Knowledge transfer in person is eliminated without a physical space.
  • Guan: No longer a core group that's necessary to continue the space. Go to storage and save money.
  • AYY: Portland OR, 2 hackerspaces, 1 lost their space and converted to ~10 core member, space reformed there, community reformation


Shway: projects

Meeting Meta

  • Members in Attendance: Jay, Guan, Robby, Peter, Shway, Leee, Kario, mz, Roman, Stephen,
  • Visitors: mz, Tarek, Eliza
  • Called to order at 19:36 by Jay.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 21:20 by Jay.
  • Minutes taken and submitted by Jay.