From Hack Manhattan Wiki
Sponsored Members Induction
For each prospective member, please confirm no later than Thursday before the meeting:
- Has the member visited 3 times at the regular Tuesday and Thursday open nights?
- Has the member received the briefing? When, and who was the briefer?
- Has the member's bio and photo been circulated on the members list? (not just blabber)
- This has been a difficult month.
- Continuing to talk to FCFL (Fat Cat Fab Lab, another Manhattan hackerspace).
- Main obstacle with FCFL includes lease condition with Jazz club. Currently in the process of becoming an independent entity.
- If all HM members joined FCFL, it wouldn't be enough to prolong.
- Currently running at a loss of $400 a month, if we are charged.
- $12000 in cash reserve
- Deposit $7000 with the building. Segregated account.
- Building mortgage is modest, property tax is $10000
- Foreclosure scenario:
- CityBadger Report: Verbally accepted a potential offer.
- D&O insurance: potential cost ~$1000 dollars per year.
- Not present
- No report.
Member and Project Reports
- mz: Given current membership activity online, HM will not continue after end of 2021. Depends whose willing to bootstrap a new space when covid ends. Currently membership lacks the experience to start a new hackerspace.
- Peter: Why would it be better to abandon ship now and put our hope in another space?
- Tarek: Cairo makerspace experience:
- Robby: Covid is the final nail in the coffin. Multiple community problems. Dissolve HM in its current form, liquidate.
- Shway: Knowledge transfer in person is eliminated without a physical space.
- Guan: No longer a core group that's necessary to continue the space. Go to storage and save money.
- AYY: Portland OR, 2 hackerspaces, 1 lost their space and converted to ~10 core member, space reformed there, community reformation
- Members in Attendance: Jay, Guan, Robby, Peter, Shway, Leee, Kario, mz, Roman, Stephen,
- Visitors: mz, Tarek, Eliza
- Called to order at 19:36 by Jay.
- The meeting was adjourned at 21:20 by Jay.
- Minutes taken and submitted by Jay.