The space needs work and ideas. The work we can do now and come up with ideas on how to use it later. I'll be putting together a Sketchup model of the space for our use but we can write down some thoughts on what we want to do in this space right now.
- Fix the crack by the window, spackle and sand.
- Paint the space, a recommendation was floated to use whiteboard paint for the walls to avoid buying whiteboards but with 12' ceilings, there will be some non-whiteboarded walls. What color should they be? [We looked at this for our new office space - the whiteboard paint (Idea Paint) is expensive and requires a lot of prep work - totally smooth and flat, if it isn't perfect it doesn't erase well. IMO whiteboards are easier. -JL]
- Do we want to paint the ceiling white as well?
- Find new light fixtures, I'd like some dimming fluorescents to get more light in the space. We'll eventually need task lights as well.
- More power outlets, possibly more power in general if we're running everything off one 20A circuit. A suggestion was made to have a master power switch to turn off everything on the way out to ensure all soldering irons are off and so forth with one circuit on a UPS/always on and those outlets identified with red paint for the fridge or laptops that are being charged/running something. [We use the Belkin remote control power strips - one switch mounted by the exit shuts everything off. -JL]
- Curtains! Sounds like a great opportunity to teach sewing...
- If we build shelves on top of the benches stick LED strips underneath to light up workspaces below?
The space needs:
- More chairs
- Working space
- Shelving in main area above the benches?
- Ideas on how to make the most of the high ceilings
- Coat and boot storage at front door
- Plants, possibly spider plants/pothos/peace lilies/cast iron (inexpensive, hardy, and easy to propagate)
- Work sink with running water and drain (I see old hookups in the closet)
We want to:
- Hack electronics
- Sew, knit, make shoes
- 3D printing
- Metalsmithing, carpentry
- Cut things with lasers
- Garden and grow things
- Hang out, socialize, learn from each other
- Brew beer?